Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Virginia Beach Estate Planning Lawyer / Blog / Veteran's Benefits / What If Mom Can’t Sign Forms from the VA?

What If Mom Can’t Sign Forms from the VA?

Many of our older clients are physically unable to sign their name. The VA does not recognize a power of attorney and so no one but the veteran or surviving spouse can sign VA forms unless the VA has appointed a fiduciary to act on the claimant’s behalf. The family members then wonder what to do when the VA sends documents that need to be signed.

One way to fix this problem is to type the following statement onto the VA form: “I HEREBY CERTIFY THAT THE INFORMATION ON THIS FORM IS TRUE AND ACCURATE TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEF.” Someone can then help the veteran make an X or a fingerprint below the statement. Then, two witnesses can sign the statement and provide their full addresses.

Typically, if this statement is attached to the form the VA will accept it in lieu of the actual hand-written signature of the veteran or surviving spouse. Providing this statement to the VA can allow your parent to comply with the VA’s requests even if they cannot physically sign their name.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn